Friday, May 2, 2008

Summer Reading List

Mary and I have finally, after much discussion and back-and-forthing, settled upon the summer reading list: between the two of us we selected a few books to take which a) are quintessentially Canadian, b) we haven't read, and c) (perhaps most importantly) are nice lightweight paperbacks. Without further ado:

  • Roses Don't Do Well Here - W.O. Mitchell
  • Who Has Seen the Wind - W.O. Mitchell
  • The Deafening - Francis Itani
  • David and Other Poems - Earle Birney (if we can find a small copy!)
  • The Shooting of Dan McGrew and other poems - Robert Service
  • The Stone Angel - Margaret Laurence
  • Fifth Business - Roberston Davies
.... that should keep us well tided over for four months.

2 comments:

Mary Sanseverino said...

A Big Thank You to the good folks at Russell's Books in Victoria. Mark and I both picked up our books at Russell's.

It is a bit of a daunting task to pick "the books" to read on such an epic trip -- I had several very knowledgeable people help me out with my picks.

I haven't had any luck getting the Earl Birney -- I wonder what other poet I should get.

ttfn
Mary

Mary Sanseverino said...

Today (May 06) I visited another favourite Victoria book store -- Ivy's Books in Oak Bay. I got lots of good advice there too -- they recommended, as quintessential Canadian poetry for a ride across the country, Roch Carrier's "Prayers of a Young Man". Although his "The Celetial Bicycle" might be more fitting!

ttfn
Mary